Sherman, Illinois is located north of Springfield, the capitol of Illinois. In 1858, four men, Virgil Hickox, Cornelius Flagg, Joseph Ledlie and David Sherman bought, surveyed and platted what is now called Sherman. Early settlers in Sherman were predominately Italian and involved in the coal mining industry.
During the 1970’s, Sherman began to grow due to its close proximity to Springfield and Interstate 55. Sherman’s first growth was primarily residential. Sherman continues this growth pattern today and currently has a population of approximately 3,500 people. With this growth has come a surge of diverse service business expansion.