Featured Illinois Route 66 Scenic Byway Member
Chenoa is located at the crossroads of historic Route 66 and U.S. Route 24, approximately 110 miles southwest of Chicago and 190 miles northeast of St. Louis. The Town of Chenoa was laid out on 13 May 1856 by Matthew T. Scott. At this time the Chicago and Alton Railroad had been running trains for almost two years, but the survey for the east-west Toledo, Peoria, and Oquawka had not reached McLean County. Scott anticipated the place where the railroads would cross and platted the town which he called Chenoa. Matthew T. Scott was the son of a Kentucky banker and by the time he reached Illinois, was an experienced land developer who led a group of well-financed investors. Chenoa has two Route 66 alignments, and the earliest version ran on North Morehead Street and then shared/paralleled U.S. Route 24 for a few blocks.